With the Office 365 syndication program end date (30/6/17)
fast approaching finally here, most of our syndicated Office 365 tenants in Telstra Apps Marketplace have transitioned to CSP. This is great news for CSP partners as it enables us to move customers to other providers such as Rhipe without migration tools and enjoy the benefits of CSP licensing.
There is a reasonable amount of effort involved and a couple of pitfalls to watch out for. I’ve written this blog along with a couple of PowerShell scripts in the hope that other partners will benefit from my learning experience.
At a high level, this process is very simple
- Verify tenant has been moved to CSP model
- Ensure there is no contractual obligation with Telstra
- Count the number of licenses for each Office 365 subscription
- Provision the same number of licenses with another CSP provider
- Cancel subscriptions in Telstra Apps Marketplace
- Re-assign subscriptions in Office 365 Admin Portal
Simple, right? Let’s get into it.
The detailed version
Before we get started you’ll need to grab a couple of PowerShell scripts from GitHub. These scripts were written to simplify the process by automating some of the manual, time-consuming tasks.
- Confirm tenant has moved to CSP (Use syndication check script)
- Ensure there is no contract obligation –
If the subscription says bundle anywhere then it may be under contract. Call Telstra on 1800878483 if you’re unsure.
- Count the total number of allocated subscriptions eg 21 Bus Prem, 15 Bus Ess, 12 Exch Online
- Order matching subscriptions via new CSP provider (eg Rhipe)
- Run transition PowerShell script – Transition Telstra Tenant.ps1
- Cancel Office 365 subscriptions in Telstra Apps Marketplace
- Make sure you bill your customer – I recommend this billing solution
- Project Pro for Office 365 no longer exists – Project Online Professional is the next best thing
- Unpaid subscriptions cannot be cancelled – ensure customer has paid
- Avoid double billing – in my experience Telstra issue Office 365 invoices on the first day of each month. Try to avoid billing overlap with your new CSP. Every CSP is different, so check your billing terms.
Tip – Rhipe make this delightfully simple by giving the first month free on all new subscriptions purchased prior to the first month anniversary date which falls on the 15th of each month at midnight UTC time. For example, if you purchase 50 x Enterprise E3 on the 1st of April you will not be billed anything until the 15th.
Let me know in the comments if you found this helpful.